Climate Alliance event | 29.03 - 31.03.2021 | Online
Online discussion: Climate Alliance targets
29 March or 31 March 2021
Back in 2019, Climate Alliance has launched the discussion on the network’s objectives with the paper „Net-zero and carbon neutrality – pathways to a low carbon future“. Since then, the discussion with members has been further advanced, as most recently in the context of the Climate Alliance Digital Days in October 2020. Now, the European Secretariat of Climate Alliance has developed initial proposals for a Climate Alliance Charter, which is to serve as a continuation of the Bolzano Declaration from 2000. It takes into account current developments such as the Paris Agreement and the discussion on climate neutrality. These aspects are also placed in the context of the Climate Alliance principles.
Climate Alliance members are invited to join in on the discuss and help us further develop the Climate Alliance Charter. The following two dates are offered for a direct exchange:
- Monday, 29 March 2021, 10:00 – 12:00
- Wednesday, 31 March 2021, 10:00 – 12:00
Are you interested in participating? Please contact Thomas Brose at t.brose(at)climatealliance.org and indicate your date preference. Registered participants will receive the draft text of the Charter in advance.
In the run-up to the Climate Alliance Digital Days, interviews were conducted with member municipalities to find out how they discuss the targets issue locally. The most important findings have also been taken into account in the development of the Climate Alliance Charter:
- Ambitious targets are crucial. Without ambitious goals there is no money, no political support and no credible communication
- Targets should be “digestible” (i.e. implementable or achievable)
- Many members want support/guidance from the European Secretariat on the implications of different objectives for the implementation pathway
- Review Climate Alliance Digital Days Discussion (2020)
- Discussion paper on net-zero and carbon neutrality (2019)
- Bolzano Declaration (2000)